_MG_3833.JPG
SKIJORING LOGO-01.png

Board Meeting Recordings

by Skijor America

This a list of recorded board meetings for Skijor America.

Minutes by Loren Zhimanskova - Tuesday, October 29th, 2015 - 4p - 5:30pm

4 Person Board: Loren Zhimanskova, Laurie Sigillito, Scott Ping, Matt Crossett

Note Board Meeting #1 was an outreach from SA founders Laurie Sigillito & Matt Crossett to Loren Zhimanskova and Scott Ping to see if they would be interested in joining as board members and accomplishing the same goals.


Skijor America Board Meeting #2

In attendance:

Laurie Sigillito

Matt Crossett

Loren Zhimanskova

Scott Ping

Review Robert’s Rules - opportunity to talk, then discuss, then vote

Approved Minutes from last meeting

Board Applications - RJ, Whitni, (Scott spoke with her), Brooke (answered questions) 

Matt read application, going for a PhD, from Idaho

Tim & Bruce (wrote emails) Dale (no) Jodee, Cody (no response)

Discussed Ron Behrendt recommended by Dale Duff (emailed him)

Bill Brown lives in NY/CT background in Sports Promotion (Matt has reached out)

Keep number at 7, wait to vote on new members, Regroup on Friday and notify by 

weekend

Topic of advisors (Bill Behrendt, Dale Duff)

Business Plan - Draft for now - Have to vote on major issues before finalized

Tournament Plans (Race Requirement Docs) - In the works - too early to finalize

Letters of Intent - New Questions

Mailing Lists - Data Base - Build Excel Spread Sheet - Laurie Collecting Names - 

Google Docs Matt’s Preference

Loren Z - Follow up in Colorado and Wyoming

Denis Havig - Montana Tourism Board outreach

Maybe Brooke and Hailey (Scott will call) can contact Idaho Board of Tourism

Steamboat - ongoing - figuring out dates in coordination with Nordic - March won’t work 

- application in process - Loren will keep Scott in the loop - Brett 

Red River - Scott says it’s going well - Jodee has everyone on board

Silver City, MT before Jodee’s (small) - on Scott’s calendar

Brian Head, Utah - still happening - Scott flying to Las Vegas on December 6, 2015 - 

Meeting on Monday?

Joe Scanlon - Scott Ping - Others want to be on board - Letter of Intent only, not a 

commitment to be a cast member - Scott will send Matt a list - Not limited to how many 

people can enter the cup - Not paid to go to races - $500 stipend (meaning payment for 

housing/boarding/travel expenses) - How will those who are not selected react?  Scott 

thinks it will incentivize and increase competition

Race Promos - Consistent - Skijor America logo - Increase to 30 seconds - re-purpose if 

it is an existing video - Whitefish for instance - Needs to work digitally - 3 logos - 6 

weeks (4x) - cost $250 for 30 seconds - 4 times a month on Altitude - 6.5 minutes ads 

(200 inventory, 32 races)

Logo - Scott doesn’t like it - Doesn’t show skier and rider - Elements explain the sport - 

Board should vote in time

4. Scott is working on budget/revenues (Wisdom or don’t want to be part of the eight 

races).  Where will those dollars come from?  NASJA still included on Scott’s emails.  

Laurie is confused.  Scott has been discussing with northern races and they don’t see 

advantage if not on the eight race circuit.  Wisdom is an example.)  NASJA and more.  

Would still have a Skijor America representative there.  Hailey’s race as well.  Bill and 

Michelle still confused.  What if we don’t pull this thing off?  Scott’s responsibility to sell 

it.  Scott is drafting documents to explain advantages.  Scott admits he can’t do it by 

himself any more.  No waffling.  Foresees similar problems.  Pending sponsorships.  

Also wondering about different divisions, sport and novice.  Will they be lost?  Technical 

delegates paid for hotel/boarding for horse/food and gas through NASJA.  How does 

this translate?  Member “in good standing” .  What about NESJA?  Skijor America is 

NASJA with more.  Not committed to giving the races money.  NASJA is topped out.  

They are hoping to get a TV series out of it.  Next year more likely.  

Scott will have this finished Friday.  10K plus Mike (Google guy). Murdoch’s & Brewery.  

Chamber of Commerce.  

Committed Deliverables please define.  More technical delegate oriented.  

Budget Template from Ron Behrendt.  

Each race needs to raise their own sponsorship dollars.  No TV series yet, 20% there.  

Closing statements:

Loren:  Nothing to do with money happens without a full board and a vote.  

Scott:  Line Item.  Membership fee to races/competitors.  Fee based on #’s of athletes.  

Organizer:  Doing most of the work.  Helping advise.  Race coordinator.  Sign ups to 

awards.  Does she has what she needs?  Question of control.  Help, not control.  Bruce 

is capable.  There need to be others.  

Member in good standing.  Check list.  Responsibility of Scott’s.  

People can make a decision to be involved or not be involved.  Laurie used the example 

of being part of a franchise?  

Red Lodge doesn’t have a safe run out.  Horse safety first.  Suggestions only.  12-15 

positive things.  Cookie cutter, yet unique.  

“Endorse.”  New word for sanction or sponsor? 

Next board meeting set for Friday, November 13, 2015 at 9 AM mountain time.

 

Minutes Written by Loren Zhimanskova - Monday, November 9th, 2015

Approved by Board, Friday November 13th, 2015

4 Person Board: Laurie Sigillito, Loren Zhimanskova, Matt Crossett, Scott Ping


Skijor America Board Meeting #2

In attendance:

 

 

Laurie Sigillito

Matt Crossett

Loren Zhimanskova

Scott Ping

  • Review Robert’s Rules - opportunity to talk, then discuss, then vote

  • Approved Minutes from last meeting

  • Board Applications - RJ, Whitni, (Scott spoke with her), Brooke (answered questions) Matt read application, going for a PhD, from Idaho

  • Tim & Bruce (wrote emails) Dale (no) Jodee, Cody (no response)

  • Discussed Ron Behrendt recommended by Dale Duff (emailed him)

  • Bill Brown lives in NY/CT background in Sports Promotion (Matt has reached out)

  • Keep number at 7, wait to vote on new members, Regroup on Friday and notify by weekend

  • Topic of advisors (Bill Behrendt, Dale Duff)

Business Plan - Draft for now - Have to vote on major issues before finalized

Tournament Plans (Race Requirement Docs) - In the works - too early to finalize

Letters of Intent - New Questions

Mailing Lists - Data Base - Build Excel Spread Sheet - Laurie Collecting Names - Google Docs Matt’s Preference

Loren Z - Follow up in Colorado and Wyoming

Denis Havig - Montana Tourism Board outreach

Maybe Brooke and Hailey (Scott will call) can contact Idaho Board of Tourism

Steamboat - ongoing - figuring out dates in coordination with Nordic - March won’t work - application in process - Loren will keep Scott in the loop - Brett

Red River - Scott says it’s going well - Jodee has everyone on board

Silver City, MT before Jodee’s (small) - on Scott’s calendar

Brian Head, Utah - still happening - Scott flying to Las Vegas on December 6, 2015 - Meeting on Monday?

Joe Scanlon - Scott Ping - Others want to be on board - Letter of Intent only, not a commitment to be a cast member - Scott will send Matt a list - Not limited to how many people can enter the cup - Not paid to go to races - $500 stipend (meaning payment for housing/boarding/travel expenses) - How will those who are not selected react?  Scott thinks it will incentivize and increase competition

Race Promos - Consistent - Skijor America logo - Increase to 30 seconds - re-purpose if it is an existing video - Whitefish for instance - Needs to work digitally - 3 logos - 6 weeks (4x) - cost $250 for 30 seconds - 4 times a month on Altitude - 6.5 minutes ads (200 inventory, 32 races)

Logo - Scott doesn’t like it - Doesn’t show skier and rider - Elements explain the sport - Board should vote in time

4. Scott is working on budget/revenues (Wisdom or don’t want to be part of the eight races).  Where will those dollars come from?  NASJA still included on Scott’s emails.  Laurie is confused.  Scott has been discussing with northern races and they don’t see advantage if not on the eight race circuit.  Wisdom is an example.)  NASJA and more.  Would still have a Skijor America representative there.  Hailey’s race as well.  Bill and Michelle still confused.  What if we don’t pull this thing off?  Scott’s responsibility to sell it.  Scott is drafting documents to explain advantages.  Scott admits he can’t do it by himself any more.  No waffling.  Foresees similar problems.  Pending sponsorships.  Also wondering about different divisions, sport and novice.  Will they be lost?  Technical delegates paid for hotel/boarding for horse/food and gas through NASJA.  How does this translate?  Member “in good standing” .  What about NESJA?  Skijor America is NASJA with more.  Not committed to giving the races money.  NASJA is topped out.  They are hoping to get a TV series out of it.  Next year more likely.  

Scott will have this finished Friday.  10K plus Mike (Google guy). Murdoch’s & Brewery.  Chamber of Commerce.  

Committed Deliverables please define.  More technical delegate oriented.  

Budget Template from Ron Behrendt.  

Each race needs to raise their own sponsorship dollars.  No TV series yet, 20% there.  

Closing statements:

 

Loren:  Nothing to do with money happens without a full board and a vote.  

 

Scott:  Line Item.  Membership fee to races/competitors.  Fee based on #’s of athletes.  

Organizer:  Doing most of the work.  Helping advise.  Race coordinator.  Sign ups to awards.  Does she has what she needs?  Question of control.  Help, not control.  Bruce is capable.  There need to be others.  

Member in good standing.  Check list.  Responsibility of Scott’s.  

People can make a decision to be involved or not be involved.  Laurie used the example of being part of a franchise?  

Red Lodge doesn’t have a safe run out.  Horse safety first.  Suggestions only.  12-15 positive things.  Cookie cutter, yet unique.  

“Endorse.”  New word for sanction or sponsor?

Next board meeting set for Friday, November 13, 2015 at 9 AM mountain time.

 

Minutes written by Loren Zhimanskova - Friday, November 13th, 2015 9am - 11am

Approve by Board: Tuesday, November 17th, 2015

4 Person Board: Loren Zhimanskova, Laurie Sigillito, Scott Ping, Matt Crossett


Board Meeting #3 9AM to 10AM Mountain Time

In attendance:

Laurie

Matt

Loren

Scott (absent)

Recap on 20 minute conversation waiting on Scott (not able to contact)

Board up to 9 (all applicants accepted, good geographical mix) 3 in favor, PASSED

RJ, Whitni, Brooke, Bruce, Tim + us (MAKES FULL BOARD OF 9)  

Scott & Matt and potentially others to go to Brian Head meeting set Monday, December 7

No board meeting at BH, however, future board meetings in central locations considered

Meeting began officially at 9:25 AM Mountain Time

Approved minutes from last meeting - PASSED

Next meeting Tuesday evening 6:30 PM Mountain Time - PASSED

Important to be mindful of time and Robert’s rules, new agenda by Saturday

NASJA documents to be provided: 

1. Skijor America Membership Form

cost, what they get

2. Race Agreement (called Sponsorship in Scott’s doc, need to change)

cost, what they get

3. Skijor America Rules

Matt’s likes it in general, Scott is sending in edits

4. Advantages of Skijor America (NASJA prior)

5. Whitefish Sponsorship Packet use as example 

6. Schedule of Events (ignore highlights for now) 

Matt will determine races

Status of LOI

Minturn, Red River, Silverton (in hand) Whitefish & Bozeman (coming) 

WRESJA, Leadville, Jackson (new President of Shriner’s), Red Lodge & Sandpoint (ongoing)

Steamboat & Brian Head (races that may happen)

Altitude Schedule for December 2015 13 showings total, 4 on main/9 on secondary channel

December 26th & 28th (main) 6 PM

Whitefish & Red River may wish to consider running ads on these later dates

No letter about NASJA’s changeover yet (Tony Fox & Scott Ping)

No budget yet - important to have to determine

Laurie has reached out to private investor for $$ in general or a loan (no interest or profit)

Loren commented that more details need to be provided before approaching people

Timing equipment

Matt getting quotes - purchase optimal - two sets - 13 to 15 races - 

Cost $4K Programming + $4K Display (Wireless)

Insurance - Still working on this

Fencing $2K (Burlap & T-posts)

Board Meetings limit to 2 hours

Prioritize:

Money How to Get It

Provisions to Races

FAQ Sheet

Tuesday, November 17th, 2015

Loren Zhimanskova - Did not provide minutes for this date.

9 Person Board: Laurie Sigillito, Bruce Stott, RJ Klotz, Whitni Ciofalo, Matt Crossett, Scott Ping, Loren Zhimanskova, Tim McCarthy, Brook Howell

Minutes Written by Loren Zhimanskova - Monday, November 23th, 2015

Approved by Board, Friday November 30th, 2015

9 Person Board: Laurie Sigillito, Bruce Stott, RJ Klotz, Whitni Ciofalo, Matt Crossett, Scott Ping, Loren Zhimanskova, Tim McCarthy, Brook Howell


Skijor America Full Board Meeting #2 (#5 Overall)

In Attendance:

Matt, Loren, Whitni, Tim, Bruce, RJ, Laurie, Brooke (5:07 pm), Scott (absent)

- Loren emailed minutes to board members

- RJ, Tim & Bruce edited rules document and presented to group via email

- By Laws distributed but deemed too late to vote on

- Logo to be discussed

- Update on Committees (Rules, Membership, Insurance, Timing, Next Meeting)

- Agenda Approved Unanimously (Matt: Made Motion Whitni Seconded)

- Minutes Approved (Matt: Made Motion Bruce: Seconded)

- Matt is recording board meeting today

By Laws: 

No one gets paid, no political affiliations or support, membership required of board

members, dues determined each year, fiscal July-June, one annual meeting or bi-
annual? One is the feeling. Two-thirds majority? Or minimum for a quorum. 7 people

voting minimum. Thru email ok. 4 days to reply. Reply all when voting. No need for

votes to be private. Holistic approach, “Ambassadors”. Amend by laws ok. Can go to 9

members. 2 year terms x 3 max. Some 2, some 3 to stagger. 3 more popular than 1 if

staggering. Everyone should review. 2 absences with no notice can be removed. 

President only votes when there is a tie. Nominations. Acting President: Laurie Acting

Vice: Matt Acting Secretary: Loren Acting Treasurer: Laurie as controls checking acct

Logos:

Matt open to either Cowboy hat version “cool, sexy, not overt”. Scott wanted horse,

rider & skier so Matt designed logo presented “on the left”.

Whitni: Asked for cost comparison when going to print, etc.

Laurie: Cowboy hat more expensive to produce

Monday, November 23, 2015

RJ, Bruce, Brooke, Whitni, Scott (all like logo on left with horse & skier) Matt “sad”. He

liked is original concept. Laurie and Loren didn’t need to vote officially as majority ruled.

Rules:

RJ: Insurance change “mandatory” to “suggested”, wants to walk softly so left a lot

discretionary such as missing rings and boundaries (doesn’t think fencing is necessary

for whole course)

Tim: Moving up in divisions (prevents sand bagging). Applies to more than one race. 

Matt: Does it mean people can’t compete like Dan Peirce? 

Bruce: Certain skiers don’t belong in the Open. Don’t want to hurt anyone. 

RJ: Committee decision. Review by competitor. Gray area. 

Matt: Leave up to the events. Incentive $$ and prizes. 

Brooke: Average in the top five. 

Loren: Numbers problem with average idea. # of runs. 

Tim: Horses more important to move up. Skiers end up with slower horses. 

Whitni: Can a horse be brought down? Encourage new racers. 

Matt: If horse doesn’t place can be bumped down. 

Tim: Likes the idea

Laurie: Rules for overall, not just the Cup races. Two sets of points. 

Matt: Clarify The Cup (all races included in the point system) Sport included as well. 8

largest races highlights strongest races and gives more incentive. Extra $2500 is

difference. 

Laurie & Matt: Leave “The Cup” out of it for now. 

RJ: Addresses TD topic. 

Bruce: Ambulance. If sent away, does the race need to be suspended? EMT enough? 

Whitni: Insurance parameters should be considered. 

Monday, November 23, 2015

Matt: Working on insurance. 

Loren: Same criteria for vet? Not as much of a concern.

Tim: On site for weekend. Riders should have final say to continue if vet goes away. 

Whitni: Drug testing. Voluntary testing policy?

Brooke: Random tests required by many organizations but hardly ever do it.

Tim: Oxygen and oats should be enough. . .

Matt: Do they drug the horses? Common question in New York at the film festival. 

Whitni: More common on East Coast. 

Laurie: General statement. Add “no performance enhancing drugs tolerated”. 

Brooke: Reserve right to have horses tested. Won’t see a problem until more $$.

Whitni: Bute and Benamine (sp?) allowed. 

Tim: Only a concern when $$ starts coming in over $500 pay off. Concerns over

liability and law suits. 

Matt: Go with the statement of No Tolerance. 

Membership Agreement & Budget

Want to delay discussion Laurie and Whitni haven’t had time since both on vacation.

Laurie: Scoreboards, rigid, 4’ x 8’, not too heavy, $400-$500 cost each (should last)

RJ: Good for sponsorship, view-ability limited, can we ship it easily? 

Laurie: 3 or 4 to travel among races (Laurie would like to see one for each event)

RJ: Concerned about the size and transportability

Loren: Concerns about visibility, operator, cost to ship, LED should be our goal

Matt: Agrees with operator being an issue (LED better but too expensive) Magnetic

compromise to laminate

Tim: Could it come with a sponsorship? One step at a time, so don’t shoot for the

moon.

Whitni: LED too expensive for now. Timing companies may offer as a package. 

Agrees with magnetic for now. 

Monday, November 23, 2015

Brooke: Scoreboard great idea. Sponsors. TD can transport. Buy an LED used?

Bruce: Ok with transporting. Frame, magnets, cheap to make & replace. 

Laurie: Requires someone to operate either way (LED or Magnetic), registered

members look more professional, incentive to join

Tim: Mandatory to look professional

Matt: Magnet vs Laminate / Follow up with Scott / Wants to provide to all races in time

regardless of membership / Cool looking

Laurie: Can make them at cost from Fast Signs

Insurance:

Tim: Making calls. Heartland Insurance. Outdoor Insurance. Doug Fairbanks, contact. 

Event insurance only. 

Matt: Has Scott’s info. Nicky Donnelly of Wrangler I. Accidental vs. Liability. 

Applications. Starr Indemnity & Liability Company. Will follow up on quotes. Covers

everyone & everything. 

Brooke: Check with “Markel". Matt said to follow up. Premiere Equine Insurance.net

Matt: Scott working on timing. 10K for 8 events vs. old equipment. Matt needs details

in writing in order to follow up. 

RJ: Is goal to contract someone or buy equipment? 

Matt: Longterm goal to buy and have to have at least two. Here for whole community. 

RJ: Has a friend who can come to Bozeman. Will discuss a contract for next year. 

Bruce: Will ask at Beaver Creek. 

Matt: Donate!

Tim: Acknowledgment is important if someone helps us out before we buy our own

Loren: As competitors, what would be your first choice of timing equipment? What are

the options out there? 

RJ: Trip boards, best choice

Bruce: Agrees, more durable

Monday, November 23, 2015

RJ: Photo finish. Is this important? Wires, is it an issue? 

Bruce: Hard wired more reliable. Wireless as backup. 

Matt: Something to consider. 

Tim: Can work on hard wired if needed, so he prefers. No IT person needed. 

New Topic: 

Red Lodge isn’t having an event. Problem for Ice Cowboys. Is Steamboat an option?

Loren: Can’t have an event in March. Too many conflicts with ski races. Cost proving

prohibitive to get an event off the ground. Rodeo ground and equipment fees, licenses. 

Whitni: We should try to save the race in Red Lodge. 

Matt: Scott said he will do it if Tammy won’t. But Red Lodge is notorious for no snow. 

Dangerous run out. Rodeo association is standing in the way. 

Whitni: Bozeman went downhill and was a dangerous race. Now they are saving it. 

New organizers need to step up and think in new ways. 

Matt: Limited options for 8 race series. Now Sandpoint or Wisdom if no Red Lodge. 

Bruce: Will talk to Justin Modroo.

Laurie: Who has talked to Tammy? Matt should talk to her. Ice Cowboys can offer lots

of visibility for the town. 

Loren: Can we discuss the overlap of races between Bozeman and Driggs? Solution? 

Whitni: Willing to discuss moving their race for sake of Driggs. January too early,

March is too late. Red River date is a conflict with Ice Cowboys if series happens. 

Matt: No real solution. 

Whitni: Tough call. 320 Ranch and Jackson also overlap. 

Matt: 320 Ranch independent. Not even a consideration for an Ice Cowboys race. 

Whitni: Agrees. 

Laurie: Membership & Budget before next meeting. Laurie and Whitni will use Sunday

to prepare. Insurance & Timing deal with via email. 

Monday, November 23, 2015

Next meeting Monday, November 30, 2015 6 PM. Matt wants to meet asap as time is

running short. 

Meeting adjourned 7:45 PM.

Minutes Written by Loren Zhimanskova - Monday, November 30th, 2015

Approved by Board, Friday December 4th, 2015

9 Person Board: Laurie Sigillito, Bruce Stott, RJ Klotz, Whitni Ciofalo, Matt Crossett, Scott Ping, Loren Zhimanskova, Tim McCarthy, Brook Howell


Monday, November 30, 2015

Skijor America Board Meeting #3 (#6 Overall)

In Attendance:

- Matt, Laurie, RJ, Brooke, Scott, Bruce, Whitni (late), Tim (Absent due to illness)

- Matt spoke to Tammy at Red Lodge - Still not happening, Tammy burned out. Open to 

possibilities. Issues with getting sponsors every year and paying to build course. 

- Scott - Tammy has said she’s not having a race before and then decided to have one. 

Shows role new organization can play, especially with timing. Need a good system. 

- Loren will distribute minutes of last meeting tomorrow. 

- By Laws

Reminder, if you miss two meetings without notice can be removed from the board. 

Scott has missed two thus far

Matt wants to set a date for an annual meeting Laurie suggests April, maybe third 

week. 

Agenda

Matt approved, Brooke seconded.

Budget & Membership:

$500 a race x 8. Competitors rates vary based on division and frequency of racing. 

Annual vs. Single Race Hope to generate another $5400. 

Expenses/Costs identified in document. Total Budget $15,000. Membership only 

source of revenue at $9,400 at this time. No Sponsorships yet.

Board members should donate time/services/in kind to cover some of the costs so can 

bring budget into balance. $3800 ahead if this happens. 

Topics to be discussed later in the meeting:

Insurance Coverage & Timing Equipment: 

Brooke: Membership letter to entice organizations. 

Loren: Timeline?

Monday, November 30, 2015

Whitni: Letter by Friday, Commitment by week to 10 days. $250 up front. $250 from 

entry fees. 

Laurie: Are 8 races reasonable? Scott and Matt say yes. Is $250 up front reasonable?

Scott: New races should be able to pay after i.e. Red River, Brian Head & Steamboat

Matt: Why?

Scott: Difficult for new races to budget. We need the $ up front, so old races pay in full. 

Whitni: Disagrees. Bozeman, renewed race, organizers paying out of pocket right now. 

Laurie: Line 15. Mistake certified TD’s? $75 local training. Might donate time back. 

Loren: Q: Are TD’s required to be members of Skijor America. 

Discussion followed. Most agree, yes, but others say no. Maybe special category. 

Laurie: Special certification as volunteer associated with the organization. 

Matt: Differentiate between Member and Certified, i.e. Associated with the event

Whitni: Board members have to be accountable for what Skijor America offers. 

Scott: Webinar. TD’s pay $40 for training, become a member. Organizers may absorb. 

People have trouble with TD’s competing. TD’s should not be affiliated with organizing 

group. Keep it between races. Swap TD’s who know the race parameters. 

Whitni: We are a year out from sending TD’s out. Membership required. Maybe 

organization pays for membership and it goes towards the webinar. 

Laurie: People need to get paid. 

Whitni: Unbiased, not inebriated, code of ethics. Put on the brakes for now. 

Laurie: Does NASJA have any $$? 

Scott: $700 should be clear to transfer. Will check with Brooke in New Hampshire.

Laurie: Scoreboard cost $570 5’ x 8’ with frame (only one for now since no $$ in budget 

currently, 2 magnets per racer $40 Membership ($10 cost per competitor. Included in 

Membership fee.) Bruce willing to transport from race to race. 

Matt: Laurie should do final design. 

Budget Discussion:

Bruce: Looks good

Monday, November 30, 2015

RJ: Looks good

Loren: Can’t access document tonight. Will look at it tomorrow.

Matt: Great start. Donated expenses (a lot of this Matt and ok with this). 

Whitni & Brooke can help out on social media. 

Laurie: Matt to do more video, not posting. 

Whitni: Put a price on your time. Members should keep track. Everyone pulling their 

weight. 

Matt: Organizers need convincing that there is value. Website and Facebook, not real 

value. Costs inflated such as 

Whitni: Trying to be conservative with income and overestimate costs. 

Whitni: $125 for belt buckles and $75 to embroider jackets which can be gotten at cost. 

Whitni: Can spend $30,000 on a website. 

Matt: Wants to add on hard items. 

Laurie: Organizers want more $$ and savings, Laurie is focusing on marketing. 

Suggests folding in websites of individual races. 

Matt: Advertising costs. SEO, Google ads, Facebook promotions, local TV stations, 

banners, Press Releases. # of people seeing it is as important or more important that 

the marketing “product” at this point. 

Whitni: Letter needs to be professional. 8 races essential. 

Matt: Agrees

Laurie: How do we get people to come to us? Altitude, push advertising. Facebook, 

target boosting. Line item. 

Matt: Have to offer #s to back up why it is worthwhile to pay attention to us. 

Whitni: #’s are important. 

Scott: NASJA website. Lots of hits 

Matt: Redirect URL from NASJA. 

Whitni: After sending out letters, need people as points of contact. 

Monday, November 30, 2015

Laurie: Q to Loren. Do we have a formal marketing plan for Minturn? Loren: No, we 

have ongoing relationships. Laurie: We should offer a basic marketing plan. 

Scott: Has a plan for Whitefish. Budget to share as well. 

Laurie: Please forward. We will add a marketing plan for the events. 

Matt: All races count for points towards “Cup”. . . 

Discussion as to how to separate Skijor America vs. Skijor America’s Cup.

Need 4 Buckles, 4 Jackets and 2 Horse Blankets (Scott’s budget was $700). 

Laurie: Maybe we will get 12 races. 

Brooke: Read letter to board members

Scott: TD’s should have a place to stay and boarding for their horse. 

Group: Why does the TD need a horse?

Scott: Arena judge’s need a horse or snow mobile, but horsey event. To get from gate 

to gate. Keeps the protest down when it is addressed quickly. Especially in the Open. 

Laurie: Need to define a TD’s role. Never said a TD was a judge, there to “help”. 

Scott: Emphasizes need to accommodate the TD. 

Whitni: TD should have background knowledge as being from ski resorts and 1000’ is 

not so far. 

RJ: Up to the organizers what the TD should “ride”. 

Matt: Comments on the letter

Laurie: Soften the words about the TD before sending out letter. 

Whitni: Hasn’t gotten to the Race Membership Letter yet. End of day Wednesday. 

Laurie: Will edit 

Whitni: Need logo and address before sending out letter.

Matt: Using Durango address. They hold the bank account. 

Laurie: She will build a letter head.

Matt: Format in bullets. Add website and social media offerings. 

Whitni: Need #s. They can speak louder than words. 

Monday, November 30, 2015

Laurie: Is Brooke ok with Matt making changes and Laurie editing. Then to Loren.

Updates on Committees:

RJ: On Rules: Has added what was discussed last time. 

Scott: Add statement that says these are Guidelines, for example Paul Copper likes to 

use his own rules. Give leeway. 8 to 10 hard, fast and the rest variable. 

Whitni: Minimum on rules. Everything goes out in a packet. Professional presentation. 

Whitni: 18 and under must wear helmet yet Whitefish says no competitors under 18. 

Matt: Anticipates Paul’s reaction. 

Scott: Agrees. Rules Committee and Protest Committee. This is what we care about. 

Has to be in there. 

Matt: Not dictating, but there are requirements like insurance. 

RJ: These are guidelines. Leave it up to organizers. 

Laurie: Organizers need to notify which rules won’t be followed. Goal is uniformity. 

Laurie: Send out packet on Friday. Advantages, Mission & Goals, Letter, Race 

Membership Agreement and Rules

Whitni: Will format.

Loren: Will edit.

Matt: Update on Insurance Nikki Donnelly, Wrangler Insurance - two forms, Liability 

and Accidental - Nearly impossible to do a blanket liability policy since each race is 

individual. Accidental - Like Aflac ($15K max) - She is getting back to Matt. 

Brooke: Has not heard back from Markel. Transferred her to Liability Department. 

Matt: Accidental more likely. 

Scott: Mark Kure in Whitefish HUB International Insurance (needs #s of competitors/

spectators)

Matt: Will contact him tomorrow. 

Scott: Airport Authority, City of Whitefish, Scott’s practice course and race $800 total. 

Timing Equipment:

Monday, November 30, 2015

Scott: To buy and hire people to run it will be expensive. Fred at Phoenix Time 

Systems. Renting $10K a season. Doesn’t have boards. Scott can build. Boards are 

really important to have, skier trips at start and finish. Red Lodge, Sun Valley, Jackson 

Hole, Whitefish, Leadville. Curtis Stutts has equipment to sell at $3500. 

Bruce: Beaver Creek has equipment will sell cheaply. Doesn’t know cost yet. After 

World Cup ski races. Ron Ruppert.

RJ: Spoke to a friend. Can’t do it until next year. James Garrison. 

Matt: Innovative Timing Systems $8K to buy. RFID triggered by wrist or chip or eye. 

Manual timing the way to go is the consensus. 

Laurie: Timing is not included in the Membership. May be able to provide lower cost. 

RJ: Family has a business that does silk screening. Polo shirts at $15. Four color $15-

$20. Can be produced within a month. 

Whitni: Sell products on the website. Hats? Add to membership perks. 

Scott: Selling T-shirts on site a nightmare. Sell in advance and let someone else sell it. 

Scott can get T-shirts for $5. 

Laurie: No longer offering T-shirts and bumper stickers as part of Membership perks. 

Next meeting 8:30 AM Friday. Laurie will send out Google invite. 

Website, Sponsorships, Apparel topics to be discussed in the near future.

Minutes Written by Loren Zhimanskova - Friday, December 4th, 2015

Approved by Board, Wednesday, December 9th, 2015

9 Person Board: Laurie Sigillito, Loren Zhimanskova, Matt Crossett, Scott Ping, Brooke Howell, RJ Klotz, Whitni Ciofalo, Tim McCarthy, Bruce Stott


Friday, December 4, 2015

SKIJOR BOARD MEETING #7 

Attendance: 

Matt, Laurie, Loren, Scott, Whitni, RJ, Brooke (Bruce absent with notice), Tim (absent)

- Scott - Softer wording, for example “requirements”

- Minutes Approved Brooke Motioned & Whitni Seconded

- Approve Minutes Matt Motioned & RJ Seconded

- Budget approved as is (unanimous)

- Membership Packet Discussion

- Whitni wanted to clarify that races are responsible to collect dues

- Scott: $500 a lot of money, shoe string budgets, not too forceful, too strong, maybe 

change order

- Loren: Agrees, will have to wait and see, budget calls for this level of $$ commitment

- Whitni: Races can amend and change rules but this needs to be in writing

- Laurie: Racers must pay to race (across the board if a Member Race)

- Loren: Adding work for organizer, is that fair? Most are already short staffed. 

- Laurie: Organizers are getting a lot for their money, typical of many organizations to 

ask this

- Whitni: Will add that housing needs to be provided, plus horse

- Loren: If Matt doesn’t have footage, will he be asking races to provide from years 

past?

- Matt: Yes

- Loren: Will he be going to races that become members to get 2016 footage. 

- Matt: No

- Matt & Whitni: Will start to run ads in advance of Dec 31st

- Laurie: Yes, in advance

- Whitni: has check ready

Friday, December 4, 2015

- Matt: Jodee committed in his opinion

- Scott - Rod Burgess (Brian Head) needs in advance

- Matt: Please forward contact

- Loren: To all board members

- Approve Membership Package (Matt Motioned, Scott Seconded)

- Scott: Run by Laura of Silverton to get reaction

- Loren: Too late to change now, have to see what the reaction is overall

- Laurie: Agrees, put a stick in the ground and work around it

- Whitni: Annual meeting opportunity to discuss further if races have input

- Matt: When responding to questions this time, same narrative, continuity

- Loren: Assign contacts to Organizers to simplify (Matt, RJ, Whitni, Loren volunteered)

- Laurie: Scoreboard design, free standing, will cost more, sending sample photo, 

taking lead in marketing plan (Loren), social media (Whitni), Website (Matt), Brooke & 

Bruce? (timing and insurance equipment), RJ & Tim? (Sponsorship), Video Clips & 

Commercials (Matt)

- Scott: Matt Smart no race this year (same as Wisdom, may be 8th race)

- Whitni: Has relationship with Wisdom, will call (so does Scott)

- Matt: Altitude Meeting went well (but have to raise money to make it a go)

- Laurie: Short period, so will be a challenge

- Matt: What he will be concentrating on for the next three weeks

- Loren: Bozeman race have they considered moving it? Discussion followed.

- Whitni: Called Julie and never got a call back. Considered other options but all 

problematic. 

- Scott: Brian Head, UT (same as Minturn) Matt said I was told this a month ago

- Loren asked if we can change this so that souther CO competitors can support Brian 

Head if they wish and not feel torn between races. 

Friday, December 4, 2015

- Scott: Agreed this is a good idea and the reason he suggested Feb 27 & 28 for Brian 

Head was that he thought Minturn was the weekend before (as NASJA website 

indicated incorrectly)

- Matt: Next years circuit try to orchestrate better

- Loren: Pointed out many races dates are chose due to winter festivals or weather, so 

difficult

- Loren: As for Brian Head date, my suggestions are in spirit of cooperation 

- Scott: Brian Head, whole new region, great marketing opportunity, 10 K was a 

number he through out there, a test, a model to be managed through Skijor America 

that can be applied to other new races in the future.

- Scott: Sponsorship, Can Matt provide promo? Weather channel, for example. Will 

really help with outreach. 

- Loren: How are we dealing with Tim’s absenteeism.

- Matt: Same as everyone else if they don’t call in. Strike 1. 

- Next meeting Wednesday evening 6 PM MST

- Meeting Adjourned

Tuesday, December 9th, 2016

Minutes Coming After Approval on Tuesday 12.15.15